The Sound of the Night Sky

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

The Sound of the Night Sky

Postby G-Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Last night heralded the end of summer on my little island in the rain. The sky was clear as spring water and cold. I looked upon the sprawling and deadly majesty of the Milky Way, so close and so clear it felt as if I could reach out and touch it. In the village in which my sister lives, the street lights are turned off around midnight so the seeing becomes very good indeed. Low in the eastern sky sat Jupiter, almost showing a disk to the naked eye. In my peripheral vision and a few degrees to the left of Jupiter, I saw a greenish cloud shot through with a few stars, which I took to be my first clear naked-eye sight of another galaxy. As my vision adjusted I was able to look directly at it and - barely but appreciably - detect the tiny points of light that made it up. Beautiful...

As I sat wrapped in wonder and restlessness, I saw four shooting stars. Not the slow, low-level ones, which have an orange hue and often eject orange sparks; these were the very high, very fast brilliant white ones which I think are referred to as 'bolides'.

What surprised me most of all was not that I saw them; but that I heard them. In the silence of the night, the sound was quiet yet clear to me; a high-pitched thin sputter, like a rather irregular cabasa chain or the beads in a shaker, fed through a high pass filter . I realised that it was a sound I had heard before; several times when I have observed meteorites and a number of times when I sat before the monitors of my faraday-caged recording studio. It should be pointed out that the sound from an aircraft at 30,000 feet takes 30 seconds to reach the surface; yet the sound of these objects reached me at the same time that I saw them...
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

"Il faut savoir tout envisager mais surtout ne rien croire" Aimé Michel

"Se non capite qualcosa, sbarazzarsi di esso"
G-Man

Re: The Sound of the Night Sky

Postby hobbit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:50 pm

GmanIM,
I thought Wordsworth was posting for a minute there.
The assumption is that the shooting star is a lump of rock hurtling along acting under a gravittional PULL.
But what IF (Kipling)
You observe a switching rate far faster than our solar system normally switchs at?
And that what You are observing is creation occuring, where mass is been created ?
Not acting under any ficticious so called gravity, but rather where opposing flow pathways are passing each other at superluminal speed, never less than the speed of so called light?
And that what You observe and hear are near instant due to them not been electromagnetic, but electrogravitic, where gravity is a mere local consequence relative to the rate of implosion into creation of mass/matter?

But I do ponder such things, lonely as a cloud ,that floats on high.
And ramble along seemingly to many, with my head in the clouds.
hobbit
hobbit

Postby Linda Brown » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:04 pm

" Listening for the sound of Time"
Buffett........... Linda
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Postby G-Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Yes, it could be.

My gut feeling was perhaps 98% electrostatic and 2% gravitodynamic shock waves. That's a very hand-wavy ratio though. For an object travelling at 40,000 mph the gravitodynamic contribution will be small but non-zero.

But whatever it is, I'm not actually hearing anything; the sound is being induced in my head; just as it was induced in the tangled snarl of shielded, balanced-line copper cable and mixer audio busses in my faraday-shielded studio. At a guesstimate altitude of 100 miles and with M = 1047 ft/sec, the audio from a nuclear blast would reach me in about nine minutes.
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

G-Man

Postby hobbit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Linda Brown wrote:" Listening for the sound of Time"
Buffett........... Linda

Sometimes I wonder...what IF...about Jimmy Buffett.
Only time will tell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SKIIqLc ... re=related
hobbit
hobbit

Postby Grimalkin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm envious. It's so difficult here, to get away from the city lights to be able to see the stars clearly. Years ago, whenI was in high school, I was a Girl Scout. We went winter camping at the lodge at Magic Sky Ranch. The sky was indeed, magical. We saw numerous shooting stars. Sometimes I think that's why I want to go back to Oklahoma. The northeastern area isn't densely populated, which, even with the inherent disadvantages is nice. It just isn't such a crazy pace. It's possible to make a left turn without a left turn arrow. I seem to be in a melancholy mood today. Have to drag the hubby off to the bedroom when I get home from work. I need cheering up.

Grimalkin
Grimalkin

Postby G-Man » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:28 am

Go Girl! I'm sure that will put a smile on his face too.
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

G-Man

Postby hobbit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 am

If You were to join up the dots, what picture would You see?
I see a cat.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/00current.htm
hobbit
hobbit

Postby tom » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:49 am

Looks like a cat alright...

I really like the java globe-thingie in the lower-right corner.
Tom Beale
Just because it's all in your head, doesn't mean it's not real
tom

Postby G-Man » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:39 am

Made me think a little of "Strange Attractors". James Gleick - Chaos

:ugeek: "Dynamic components in a system's behaviour cause it to assume a particular oscillating set of values centred on a small range of adjacent points."

:ugeek: "Slowly increasing or decreasing system parameters to a new level causes system variations to: increase in phase change rate, amplitude and frequency; become briefly unstable; then flip to a new small set of oscillating values"

was my reading of it. I wonder what the solid black dots represent. Hmmm...Correlation rosettes going bonkers...

x2
Last edited by G-Man on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

G-Man

Next

Return to The Sword and The Teapot