The "Adamski Scout Ship" before Adamski (1949)

A home for tamer and wilder thoughts. Not a place where you have to prove anything, but a place to throw ideas around and perhaps find inspiration.

Re: The "Adamski Scout Ship" before Adamski (1949)

Postby nate » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:03 am

Nicholas and Helena Roerich came across my bow, so to speak, today. I found myself reading 'Supramundane', a work by Helena Roerich in 1938.

http://agniyoga.org/ay_en/Supermundane.php

I think I was around 13 when I read this for the first time. It was among that mid-1980s packet of weird documents that passed through our house via a local esoteric bookstore: some of them from David Hatcher Childress's Adventures Unlimited Press, and at least one from (I'm now sure, though I've not yet located it) William Moore's personal research files into Townsend Brown, which he published at some point between 1985 and 1995 via back-of-Popular-Science-Magazine mail order channels or something similar. (And I wonder when that one's going to resurface; there must be people who have copies? It's long since it's been in my hands, but it was a bunch of photocopies of stuff detailing most of the publically-accessible records circa 1980s: the Gravitator/Gravitor years, the Caroline and Vening-Meneisz cruises, the patents, the Adamski Venusian Scout Ship, Project Winterhaven, Hawaiian 'electroculture', Bahamas, his later 1970s-era petrovoltaics papers... and explicit mention of his links to both William Stephenson and Ilya Tolstoy, as well as the existence of a mysterious young man who had once dated Linda and was rumoured to be some kind of spy. Moore had been obsessed, and had done his homework. Yet none of this turned up in any published book of his; just this little underground file-dump. I know it must be out there; I held it in my hands.)

But anyway. 'Supermundane', as well as a general biography of the Roerichs, was another one of those documents. Whether it was in Moore's file or Childress' or someone else in the New Age publishing scene, I'm not now sure. Presumably it was there because if you follow Ilya Tolstoy and the Tibet link (or, just have general Theosophical leanings, as Childress did, you get interested in the Tibet/Himalayas thing)... OR, if you follow the 1950s UFO 'contactee' scene link you very quickly find stories of the 'White Brotherhood'.

I was about 13 and it made a deep impression on me. Rereading it today, I'm still struck by it. It's a remarkable document. Its geography and sociology of the 'upper realms' fits mostly neatly into the wider 'Spiritualist' literature of the 1850s-1930s, and presumably also into the Theosophical world-picture, and connects with a number of other New Age and channelled sources.

ETs, of course, make an appearance, as they do in modern channelling:

We travel on far-off worlds where We gather many lessons in fearlessness. The alien conditions of the planets’ unusual atmospheres can affect the heart of the visitor. Our Sister Urusvati knows the sensations of these distant flights. She knows the particularly difficult feeling upon the return of the subtle body. There are always complications and much courage is needed during these experiences. One should consult Our records of these distant flights to recognize the degree of daring they require.

A striving for flight has been awakened in the people of Earth. Some remember their dreams of daring, others now fly like birds, but in itself, the striving into the heights has put its mark upon this era. The Iron Bird was foretold long ago [Described by the Buddha.— Ed.]; this prediction defines the New Era.

Every Teacher in his past lives had to decide whether he wished to depart to the far-off worlds or remain with long suffering Earth. No little co-measurement was required for this decision, and each chose to remain with those who suffer. We permit Ourselves flights to the far-off worlds only to gain knowledge. Only in rare cases do We permit lengthy stays on other worlds. But even these stays are not a complete separation; on the contrary, they are like a web uniting the threads. Thus is the Brotherhood founded invincibly upon co-measurement and devotion.

For the most part I find myself agreeing with it. But then I come up hard to a full stop - and I now remember came adrift at exactly this same passage when I was 13 :

Pay attention to the way people in the West speak about the White Brotherhood. They will say that the members of the Brotherhood sit in restaurants, that they manipulate economic power, that they lie, err, and mislead, and do not know how to choose the best co-workers; that they lure people into sedition and war, that they conspire, plot, overthrow dynasties, meddle in the peaceful lives of families, inflict damage upon the church, and fail to preserve the ancient traditions. In short, one can enumerate all the darkest and most unpardonable crimes, and they will be ascribed to Us. Let us not forget that these accusations are often brought by the very people who utter the most lofty words about the White Brotherhood.

That seems reasonable enough. Fears of an all-powerful 'Illuminati' could well have arisen from distorted ideas about Blavatsky's 'Spiritual Hierarchy', or the 'Communion of the Saints', or however one might picture forces of Light in the realms slightly 'above' ours.

And then, next paragraph, -wham-. Iceberg amidships:

One may hear that Brother R. lives in the Carpathians, but it would be just as true to say that I live in London. Undoubtedly, Brother R. has been in the Carpathian Mountains just as I have been in London, but one should not mislead people by referring to dwelling places as permanent. Likewise, one should not think that Brother H. lives in Germany, although some people would like to limit his whereabouts even more, to the vicinity of Nuremburg. There are many examples of how people arbitrarily dispose of Us, while proclaiming themselves to be high initiates, or even Maha Chohans.

Ignoramuses fill books with information about Our far-flung influence, and then proclaim their own wishes as Indications from Us. One can imagine how complicated Our life becomes because of these inventions. Discrediting Us to the very end, they create and circulate strange portraits, and organize meetings at which the most treacherous individuals do not hesitate to whisper even to strangers about their unbelievable visions.

Of course, there exist special organizations dedicated to whatever is of a destructive nature. We do not speak about them for their origin is clear. We wish now to draw your attention to the conduct of those who continually speak foolishly about the Brotherhood, and by doing so, discredit it.

"Brother H."? In Nuremberg? .... There's one H. that would come immediately to mind in 1938, and he would NOT be what most people would consider a member of a *White* Brotherhood'. What then might 'special organizations of a destructive nature' mean to people who considered such a person a 'Brother'?

And yeah, at about this point I start questioning what side of the battle between good and evil this particular group of 'supermundane' people might have been fighting on.

I want to believe that that interpretation is just a mistake. But it's a hard one to get past.

And yet, it then continues:

75. Urusvati understands the harm in not forgiving. Such feelings can only fester under earthly conditions, since in Our life, with its awareness of former existences, feelings of rancor become impossible. In each life one finds many occasions for malice; to accumulate them throughout one’s lives would create a long black tail that drags and impedes. With such an appendage one cannot advance!

A love of forgiveness doesn't quite seem compatible with admiration for the German regime in 1938. Nor this:

Urusvati grows indignant when she hears about war, Sister Oriole is terrified, and We are all saddened by the barbarism of humanity. The most negative manifestation of free will is seen in outbursts of war. People refuse to think about the terrible currents they evoke by mass murder and the consequences it will bring. The ancient Scriptures correctly warned that he who lives by the sword will perish by the sword.

There is a difference between the karma of aggression and that of defense. It can be shown how aggressors suffer the most grievous consequences and how terrible their condition is in the Subtle World. People delude themselves by thinking that great conquerors do not reap bad karma during their earthly lives. But karma has its own timely approach, and does not show itself immediately. Life is continuous, and the wise ones understand their lives as a single necklace.

Aggressors burden their karma not only by killing but also by polluting the atmosphere, which occurs during war. The poisoning of Earth and of the other spheres is long-lasting. You who intrude into the lands of your neighbors, has no one told you the consequences of your fratricide?

Our Abode has witnessed many wars, and We can testify how this evil is increasing in the most unexpected ways. People know that explosions can cause rain, but what about poison gas and its possible effects? How sad We are to see free will, which was bestowed as the Highest Gift, manifested in this horrible, uncontrolled way.

Meanwhile:

Our apparatuses may resemble simple telegraphic receivers, but they are designed for more subtle vibrations. The necessary tension requires an increase in prana. The breathing of Our ozonizers can be likened to the breathing of living beings. Our lighting system, which resembles neon tubing, can burn very brightly. The effect of such mechanical devices can be increased by cognition of the Subtle World.

Ozonizers, hmm?

Regards, Nate
But on inspection of the dust
I came upon this thing called 'trust'
It helps
us to adjust
nate

Re: The "Adamski Scout Ship" before Adamski (1949)

Postby nate » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Reading further in 'Supermundane', it does continue to resonate for me with similar 'teachings' communicated and published elsewhere throughout the 20th and 21st centuries. The genesis of the idea of the 'New Age' is here already:

Let us not think that a better future is only Maya. Especially now, at the end of Kali Yuga, we should realize that the brighter future is a reality, and that only human malice can retard the coming of the new, luminous age.

They will ask you how it is possible to reconcile the threatening signs of the destruction of the planet with the possibility of a harmonious and auspicious future. The fact is that humanity has a free choice, either to enter the new life, the age of great discoveries, the Era of Happiness, or, by the power of free will to choose catastrophe. Thus, people cannot complain that they are deprived of a beautiful destiny, for it is only their evil will that could lead the nations to planetary cataclysms. Free choice is man’s birthright. It provides endless possibilities, but people do not care to apply their freedom in the right way.

We observe quite fantastic and contrasting ways of thinking. Scientists come together to work for the future and ignore the barbarians’ clubs poised to strike just above their heads! Thus Our Abode is constantly sending warnings, but unaware of the danger, people ignore them. They want to be saved, but do not want to be disturbed.

This age is difficult. People refuse to heed the significance of their destructions and wars, which cause great upheavals in the Subtle World.

This man in the street though asks: yes, we *know* the world is in dire straits. Maybe this was a shocking new idea in 1938; in 2017, the death of the planet has been made abundantly clear to the GenX and Millennial generations until we are drowning in grief and despair.

We know our leaders' wars and pollutions are threatening everything. But what can *we*, the little people, those who don't command great armies or national science laboratories or large corporations, do? We feel we have so little agency. We struggle even to pay rent or mortgage, buy food, pay for study, arrange healthcare, look after our children and retired parents. We are on a knife edge ourselves, we see even our ordinary everyday future crumbling apart, and we are asked to feel MORE pain? MORE guilt? MORE stress? How, we ask, will feeling the pain of an entire planet help us to survive our own private cataclysms?

It's not like we're 'ignoring' the danger! It's just, what can we do to prevent a planetary disaster when our wishes were not consulted in bringing it about in the first place? WE'RE not the ones invading Iraq or poaching rhinos. We ask not just 'why' must we solve our parents problems, that the brightest of their generation and ours have only made worse -- but HOW?

We can send kind thoughts; is that all?

Regards, Nate
But on inspection of the dust
I came upon this thing called 'trust'
It helps
us to adjust
nate

Previous

Return to Speculations