Agnew bahnson Sci-fi epic.

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

Agnew bahnson Sci-fi epic.

Postby fruitbat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm reading "the stars are too high" by Mr Bahnson.

What a fascinating story! Any one else familiar with it?

FB.
Never gIve up. Never surrender. - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart NSEA "Protector"
fruitbat

Re: Agnew bahnson Sci-fi epic.

Postby Linda Brown » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Steve,

I have been told by someone who has been in touch with a friend of Mr. Bahnsons that the book describes much of what was the absolute truth, cloaked in fiction. I hope that they will speak up here on this forum and say more?

I read it a long time ago and know that I have the paperback here somewhere and I really do need to read it again. Its falling apart. I need to find a better copy.

Funny that you would mention the book. As I recall Bahnson called the ship " The Argonaut" which is exactly what Dad called the little silver model that I was so fascinated with when I was a kid. I was seven and we were in California after leaving the Islands.( 1952) I discovered this shiney little model of a flying saucer and was so taken with it I was carefully playing with it.... making it bank and hover..... he caught me doing that... and basically took it away from me.... but not before making the comment...." It doesn't " bank" sweetie... it stays stable. Its not like a plane.

I think that its strange that you just mentioned that because I just had a picture of that model in my hand... selecting the pictures that are to go in the rewrite of our book.....and he showed me how it would fly... just popping from one spot to the next.

When Dad took it away from me he called it the " Most expensive paperweight in the world!"

Of course now it makes more sense to me.... if the saucers ( when they were operating properly) didn't bank..... then if they " wobbled" then something was wrong.....

Five years after this experience with the model ( which would be called the " Adamski Scout Ship" now).... Dad handed me a bunch of NICAP reports and asked me to filter out the ones that " wobbled"."Those are ours "he had said.

. Dad called his little silver model " The Argonaut" because I asked him what its name was, so why then did Bahnson name his ship " The Argonaut?"

Pieces coming together.
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Postby Linda Brown » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Dad handed me those NICAP papers in 1957. He didn't go up to Winston-Salem to join with Bahnson until later that year.... and we moved to North Carolina the next year.

The model is EXACTLY the ship that has been pictured as the " Scout ship" that George Adamski saw and took pictures of. Its easy to recognize the real ship because it has a little knob on the top... Dad explained that was to " seed" the atmosphere " around the ship with Cesium" which helped it to operate better.

In 1955 He had Tommy Williams make up some wonderful drawings of that ship. Those have made it to the Internet in various forms.... if you look carefully sometimes you can see either Tommys name or my Dads company name in the corner. Its like spotting an old friend when I find it out there!

If I find a link to those pictures I will put them up here..... but right now I have to go back to picking out the pictures. This has been a fruitful morning so far! Linda
Linda Brown

Postby fruitbat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:59 am

P.M. me your address, and if the postage isn't to extortionate I'll be happy to send you my 1959 hardback 1st edition.
I've read it now and have limited space..

It was quite illuminating in many ways. It gets panned by the critics of course, which I found totally delicious.
As it describes a situation I'm committed to being in myself as soon as possible, I.E. Bladdering about the planet on a whim in a vehicle of my own device, I found the story quite riveting in a personal way.

I was struck by the description of the flight characteristics being very similar, (if not exactly so!) to those of the rumoured x43 (I think, but It may have been x45) USAF spacecraft, which is rumoured to be able to descend from a preposterous altitude unbelievably quickly, lay it's egg and depart with equally unfeasible speed.

I'd sure love to hear where your dad got this idea from when you say, "Dad explained that was to " seed" the atmosphere " around the ship with Cesium", because in all my years of study of rumoured ufo drive systems that particular idea is totally new to me. 'wonder why you'd have to do that?

FB.
Never gIve up. Never surrender. - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart NSEA "Protector"
fruitbat

Postby fruitbat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:07 am

I am just perusing a document entitled " Increasing the space charge limit and other effects of caesium seeding in hydrogen negative ion sources"...
Think you just actually gave me a little piece of the puzzle.
I do hope it turns out to be optional though, cesium seeding doesn't sound very eco-friendly to me.

FB!
fruitbat

Postby Linda Brown » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:18 am

I wish that I was the scientist who could explain that to you but perhaps someone else here can speak up.

I know that in 1957 The Navy was sending up missiles which would put out "Cesium Clouds" which they used to bounce signals off of.... and as I recall they didn't bother to tell the citizens of the State of Florida that they were doing that... which is not a very nice thing to do... but this was in the day when they really didn't tell the population much of anything.

As far as the " Scout Ship" was concerned. My understanding was that she " fed" off of that Cesium cloud that was cast out in front of her path.....

I will try to get something more technical for you to chew on Steve.

I think that you would have liked Agnew. He wanted to personally build a flying saucer. Not just build it and fly it.... but take it to the moon. The two of you would probably have been good friends.

Thank you for the offer of the book but please keep it safe. I will find one around here somewhere and when I do and I have had a chance to read it we can compare notes.

Meanwhile.... come on all you out there with a scientific background... Please answer Steves question for him.

Later!

Linda
Linda Brown

Postby Linda Brown » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:51 am

Here is a link to the little silver ship I mentioned handling when I was a kid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Adamski ... sch&tab=wi

The first one that you will see is the drawing that Tom Williams did for my Dad in 1955. It was used later by a firm called Whitehall Rand and then by a firm called Electrokinetics/

I have the original of the third picture over, as well as the shot of the same model in the oil bath tube and upside down. The pictures here go back to Paul Schatzkins Website and of course he got the originals from me.

I notice that there are some photos out there of Dads notebook drawings too.

Linda
Linda Brown

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:06 pm

As of today Amazon has 15 used copies and 4 "collectable" for The Stars Are Too High. The prices are not too high, quite reasonable, in fact.
Jack
Jack

Postby fruitbat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:28 pm

LIke I said, I have read mine.
It was very reasonably priced.
Anyone who would like it, is welcome.
I only need to read something once.
(I haven't got a good memory or anything like that, just a very short attention span!)
FB!
fruitbat

Postby peetee le Trickfox » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:21 am

Well I'm afraid my scientific specialty is geared for "Electrogravitic communications and the empirical proof of BB Force".
As far as the cesium usage goes, it is only needed in the atmosphere, as soon as such a ship displaces out of the atmosphere into space,- the cesium is no longer necessary.... need I say any more?

Raymond...

BTW I have never read the Stars are too high, and Mikado claimed that he once sent me a copy by mail.... I never recieved it...I wonder what happened.
PT
wisdom is reality in wonderland
peetee le Trickfox

Next

Return to The Sword and The Teapot