TEN YEARS AGO

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

TEN YEARS AGO

Postby Linda Brown » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 am

I had fallen asleep on the couch in the den in our little desert house ( and I mean little folks).
I had been unable to sleep that evening and had left the television on and when I opened my eyes I distinctly remember seeing the odd vision of a bright blue sky with some sort of skyscraper with smoke billowing from it.....odd... I thought.... but I didn't turn the sound up. Jennifer, her baby and husband to be were sleeping in the bedroom. They had come down to visit from Colorado so we were all sort of " camping out" in this 700 square foot house George and I called home. Anyway... most of the time... if the baby was asleep... the object was... to stay quiet. I think that you have all been there.

So I can remember lying there considering that terrible sight. Even with the sound down I could tell that it was New York City. I thought to myself. Great... how are they ever going to get that fire out?.............I finally turned the volume up a little... heard about the fact that a plane had struck the building..... and I wondered how in the world... on a beautiful day like it was obviously... how that ever could happen.... the cameras were searching through a file of firefighters who were walking together, toward the tower.. and I wondered... how do you put a fire like that out... this is awful... and suddenly there was another plane visible... and a bright red dot on the screen.... I sat bolt upright... I can remember.... jammed up the volume.....and started yelling for all of us to be awake.

What were those first moments like for each of you?

Linda
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Re: TEN YEARS AGO

Postby hobbit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 pm

There is a time difference.
I was in our shop when a friend informed Me.
He said "THEY" have knocked down the trade centres in New York.
I asked "WHO HAS"
He told me the REPORTED events, and I simply replied "That wouldn't happen"
he replied it has, they both have collapsed.

Since which I have seen the REPORTED sequences, and feel it is deplorable that those who carried out this organised demolition and subsequent murder caused by THREE towers collapsing, and countless hundreds of thousands since in revenge driven murders, are not YET identified , or brought to justice.
Ten Years, no justice.

You may glean from my post that I do not buy fakes, I live by My wits, and observe as best I can.
Hobbit
hobbit

Postby G-Man » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:00 pm

I was at work, somewhere a little after nine BST my colleague Chris came running into the office stating that an aircraft had crashed into the WTC. We all ran down to the TV lounge, which was already full of other colleagues. The scene we witnessed was a nightmare. As we stood and wondered what might have caused such a dreadful accident the second plane struck. I watched with a sick feeling as a plane, apparently of type 737, ploughed into the other tower; throwing its blazing engines out through the other side. It was at this time we all realised that there was something very very bad happening here.
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

"Il faut savoir tout envisager mais surtout ne rien croire" Aimé Michel

"Se non capite qualcosa, sbarazzarsi di esso"
G-Man

Postby ecker2011 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:02 pm

I had just got back from China. If I had stayed just a few more days it would have been several weeks before I had got back. All the foreign air carriers had to get re certified.
ecker2011

Postby Jan/Rose » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:01 pm

We were in the no-television stage of our lives, one in which each of us had happily lived by choice for years. We were awakened by a phone call from family in NY. This was in the pre-you-tube years and we had to go find a television to see what almost everyone else had seen over and over again.

I'm with you, Hobbit. I will never understand the minds behind this, but I understand the smell of it.

rose
Jan/Rose

Postby Grimalkin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:24 pm

I was working at Denver Health as a pharmacy technician. Iwas in the IV room that day. Blue came charging in yelling "They're bombing the World Trade Center and the Pentagon!" I remember his exact words even after ten years. Don and I looked at each other, then at Blue, and said "yeah, sure." Blue was the pharmacy joker. "No! Really!" Blue replied. He brough a radio into the IV room. The reports were coming across. We were batching the routine morning IV bags. I don't remember exactly when I heard about flight 93 going down in western Pennsylvania. I just remember worrying about Jim's grandparents. I knew they were somewhere in western Pennsylvania, but not where they were inrelation to where the plane went down. Later on, I heard that one of the flight crew was from the Denver area. I still get cold thinking about that day.

Grimalkin
Grimalkin

BRIGHTER THAN FIRE

Postby Griffin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:03 am

BRIGHTER THAN FIRE 9-11

Just after 9-11-2001, a memorial service was conducted, which I attended. Numerous firefighters were there, and a fire chaplain talked about what happened with the fire crews on 9-11 at the Twin Towers in New York.

The fire chaplain said many of the firefighters had Italian ancestry and were Catholics. As these fire-warriors went up into the flaming towers, priests were at the entryways giving last rites in advance, as it was quite likely that these valiant public servants would die in their war against the flames. They did, as we well know.

As I drove home that evening, I was still strongly impacted by the event and, in particular, by the fire chaplain’s story of the priests giving last rites in advance. Suddenly, in a burst of therapeutic inspiration, a poem came to me full blown. Included in its coupled lines was a direct influence from the chaplain’s sharing: Priests stood below/Giving last rites in advance… When I got home, I immediately wrote the poem down. I felt better, as I had something with which to remember the firefighters’ courageous sacrifice and to memorialize them in some way.

I recited my poem today (9-11-11) at a 9-11 Memorial, and I dedicated it to a recently deceased friend who had been an Emergency Medical Technician, and a firefighter and Battalion Chief in a small town. He would have bravely and selflessly sacrificed himself alongside the 9-11 firefighters had he been on duty in New York at that time. So, it was also a fitting memorial for my big-hearted, fire-warrior friend Big Eric Petersen.

On each September 11, despite the sad nature of the event it commemorates, I can think of the sacrifice of the firefighters and others at the Twin Towers and be confirmed in my belief that human beings can rise, even amidst horrific circumstances, and do inspiringly wonderful selfless things for others. It reminds me of TTB.

Here is the poem:

Brighter Than Fire 9-11

John Griffin

With courage brighter than fire,
The fire crews entered fast
Twin towers aflame and near collapse,
Knowing any moment might likely be their last.
Priests stood below
Dispensing last rites in advance
To fire-in-the-belly fighters,
Whose lives seemed up to chance.
Fire Captains gave the orders
But also led the way,
And they all went down together
On this most horrendous day.
But they have all together risen
As exemplars brave and true —
A special company of heroes
With selfless devotion matched by few.
Griffin

Postby longboardLOVELY » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 am

Remembering September 11, 2001

I was woken up from a pretty sound sleep by Andrew calling me; he was driving down to San Diego for work. We had just returned from Europe about 2 weeks prior - where we celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary (August 20) backpacking throughout the continent. Had we postponed the trip (as we had previously planned) we probably would have been stuck in France for sometime.

Waking up around 6am from a sound sleep and hearing a garbled phone call from my husband, I staggered into our little tiny Santa Monica condo's living room/den and turned on our tv just in time to see the second plane hit the second tower....I stayed glued to the tv until it was time to go to work (I was a clinical oncology pharmacist at the Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles).

I remember clearly how silent the airspace was in the days immediately following 9/11...

No planes, no jets...the skies were clear - not even sky writers...

Today, while at the gym, I watched various tv monitors playing out the scenario once again - and the one thing that still sticks with me is that the buildings appear to have imploded...

I am sad that so many people have lost so much.... my heart hurts remembering their tears...

LongboardLOVELY
longboardLOVELY

Postby tom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:05 am

I think I was getting ready for work. It seemed inconceivable to me. My first thought when realizing it was a terrorist attack? The famous quote from Admiral Yamamoto: "We have awakened a sleeping giant... and filled him with a terrible resolve". How could any group be so foolish to do something like that?

My second thought? The burning of the Reichstag building on 27 February 1933.
Tom Beale
Just because it's all in your head, doesn't mean it's not real
tom

Postby Linda Brown » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:22 am

If the object was to get us involved and draw us out past our financial abilities through many years of warfare.... then the plan.... worked.

I remember noting in the week afterward that the sky seemed so much clearer and sharper and then I realized that there were of course no contrails to cast that odd shade all over the earth. Someone did a scientific study on that and said that the temperature of the United States actually was raised a slight bit because of that, I found that amazing.

The next day the firefighters from our local stations were standing in the middle of the intersections so that you could throw what you could afford in the empty boots they were holding. There wasn't a car that didn't stop to contribute. It made me very proud of this little town. Linda
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Next

Return to The Sword and The Teapot