An Assortment from The Anomalist

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

An Assortment from The Anomalist

Postby re-rose rose » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Something for everyone from The Anomalist at
http://www.anomalist.com/

Human Deception at Play During the UFO Wave of 1947 History Deceived

James Carrion, a former MUFON director, speculates that after WW2 the Joint Security Control (JSC) concocted the UFO mythos to deceive an enemy nation, the Soviet Union. The evidence, he says, lies in a memo from one of the senior members of the JSC to the FBI, which looks like he was keeping track of his UFO deception. Carrion promises to reveal more about the depth of the US deception planners’ involvement in the UFO events of 1947 in a forthcoming book.

I don't know how to C&P their embedded links, so here you go:
http://historydeceived.blogspot.com/201 ... -wave.html

Theosophical Society Revisited Skeptiko

Blavatsky was huge in the 19th century giving us luminaries such as Aleister Crowley, Arthur Conan Doyle, Thomas Edison, and W.B. Yeats, but is it still relevant in the 21st century? Mike Patterson's argument is based in the wholesale democratization of esoterica, while outlining the profound impact theosophy has made in western society and culture.

http://www.skeptiko.com/theosophical-so ... sited-325/

Over in California Physicists Confirm A Possible 5th Force based on the discovery of a new boson. Better yet, labs don't need multi-billion dollar accelerators to confirm this discovery. If the significance eludes you, Deborah Byrd notes this 5th force may be part of another fundamental force unifying gravity, electromagnetism, the strong and weak nuclear forces. (CS)

http://earthsky.org/space/physicists-co ... -5th-force

enjoy!
rose
re-rose rose

Re: An Assortment from The Anomalist

Postby nate » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:05 am

re-rose rose wrote:
Human Deception at Play During the UFO Wave of 1947 History Deceived

James Carrion, a former MUFON director, speculates that after WW2 the Joint Security Control (JSC) concocted the UFO mythos to deceive an enemy nation, the Soviet Union. The evidence, he says, lies in a memo from one of the senior members of the JSC to the FBI, which looks like he was keeping track of his UFO deception. Carrion promises to reveal more about the depth of the US deception planners’ involvement in the UFO events of 1947 in a forthcoming book.

Hmm. I think I've heard Carrion's 'Rosetta Deception' theory before. He posted it apparently as a free ebook in 2014 - he's now got it on a website also for free, now titled 'Anachronism'. Here, if you want to take a look:
https://www.keepandshare.com/doc13/1167 ... df-2-2-meg

Your mileage may very well vary, but.. I'm sorry to say I find it tedious, poorly written, full of both hype and much irrelevant detail and rather lacking in any kind of proof. He asserts, with no logic that I can see, that the 'Swedish Ghost Rockets' of 1946 were a deception operation by Stephenson and select high-ranking military staff in the US and UK, to 'scare the Soviets' by faking launches of seized German missiles. Which they had, but didn't have, but wanted to make the Soviets think they did. Except, they really did launch missiles, only they weren't actual missiles. Some kind of modified artillery shells? But it was also not about launching missiles at all but about faking press releases, which was done purely to plant known plaintext words in the Soviet encrypted communication channels so as to crack their codes. And yes, doing completely secret launches of hardware designed to look exactly like rockets, that the Swedes thought were Russian and the Russians thought were Swedish, would of course inflame international tensions and possibly start a new world war, but, um. It got Stalin worried, so that was okay? Seriously, this is a literal James Bond villain plot - fake a secret-weapon missile attack to deliberately stir up trouble between formerly-allied powers on the brink of breakdown? In the aftermath of a desperate war? Who would think that was a good idea?

A lot of the elements seem to be there: Stephenson, codebreaking, 'strategic deception', US Navy.... but I'm sorry, in my opinion this is just nonsense soup. It makes zero historical or strategic sense, none of the facts support it, and he's so excited about this theory, and it's just sad.

I do give him points for giving the book away for free, though.

Regards, Nate
But on inspection of the dust
I came upon this thing called 'trust'
It helps
us to adjust
nate

Re: An Assortment from The Anomalist

Postby nate » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 am

Meanwhile, huh. On the track of Carrion led me to the 'De Void' UFO blog.

http://devoid.blogs.heraldtribune.com/date/2016/08/12/
Blurred lines, continued …
By Billy Cox Friday, Aug 12, 2016 3:57 PM

That fine line between mere curiosity and bona fide security-grade puzzle will be up for debate when the Florida MUFON chapter hosts a symposium in Orlando on Aug. 26-28. More specifically, expect an update on the status of an ongoing investigation into the Aguadilla UFO incident over coastal Puerto Rico in 2013.

For newcomers, Aguadilla is fascinating – and bewildering – on a number of levels: First, the mystery left behind beaucoup metadata embedded in the margin frames of a high-tech infrared Wescam camera. And it was visually captured by Customs and Border Patrol agents on nighttime lookout for airborne drug runners. For nearly four minutes, they tracked this flying object as it skirted an airport, dropped to deck, entered the sea at speeds calculated at more than 80 mph, and apparently split in two as it re-emerged from the water.

The Customs agents took the encounter up the chain of command. After superiors blew it off, one of the agents forwarded the video to the Mutual UFO Network. MUFON Florida state director Morgan Beall put together a team to analyze the footage; last year, his ad hoc Scientific Coalition for Ufology posted the results online. In order to establish the provenance of the footage – as well as to check for discrepancies between the government video and the one analyzed by SCU – De Void filed a FOIA with Customs. Customs confirmed the Aguadilla footage was, indeed, theirs. But they declined to release it because doing so risked exposing the agency’s methodologies, with results that could be, in its official-reply word, “catastrophic.”

Maybe I'm the only one who missed this. Youtube of the footage is here - pretty neat! Little black round zippy thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6s5RwqnnLM
And the Scientific Coalition for Ufology's report on it here: http://www.explorescu.org/#!2013-aguadi ... rico-/cf42

It has a 'wobble':
The object's ability to maneuver at speeds of 80-100 miles per hour (mph) though residential and commercial at low altitude is of interest. A notable characteristic of the object is its apparent tumbling as it moves through the air, which gives it a very non-aerodynamic appearance. This tumbling action ends prior to the object's entry into the water and as it moves through the water. The object also apparently accelerated while underwater. At 01:23:37 hours in the video the object can be seen to disappear behind a tree momentarily, which places its altitude at below 40 feet. The ability to fly at that altitude at night and between trees requires precise control of movement and a highly responsive propulsion system particularly given the lack of control by aerodynamic devices (like wings). In terms of our technology, advanced sensors or GPS satellites in communications with an on board microprocessor might partially explain such maneuvers. Even more difficult to explain would be the willingness of any government or organization to advertise this capability through a residential area where malfunctions during flight could result in harm to the civilian population and expose an advanced military technology.

On the other hand, perhaps it was actually just a bird (or two birds), which might make more sense given the low flight and how it skims the sea. And if wings are invisible on IR, would explain the 'wobble':
http://udebunked.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08 ... lyzed.html

Claims are made about the bird traveling 86 miles per hour, and later flying through the water at a similar speed. I think there were too many assumptions involved. Just looking at the display, there was an attempted target lock at around 43 seconds into the video (the box that briefly pops-up around the crosshairs) - this fails. This is a clue in itself: The target had plenty of heat signature, and once in the crosshairs, the operator pulled the trigger, but the lock failed. This was an immediate clue that we were looking at a very small target; one below the threshold of the software for target tracking. We understand that. Mostly these IR systems are used to lock onto aircraft, or cars, or sometimes people. But you don't want them accidentally locking on a very small target such as a bird. Now the lack of a lock is important, because it means that all the target readings on the lower right display were not about this target. Instead, they are a mean average for the ground. This means that the coordinates cannot be used to establish any speed estimates whatsoever.

Another expert agrees with this, but disagrees with the claim that a bird's wings wouldn't be visible:
http://www.openminds.tv/experts-chime-i ... ideo/34909
As for the wings, Pagani argues, “Some people have objected that you can’t see wings, but you can – only at certain points. You have to remember that this is infrared video; it’s reading heat signatures. Since wings are thin and have low vascularization, they have a very low heat signature. To infrared, they are almost invisible.”

“No. Here, she is wrong,” says Dave. “But, let’s say she was right. Wouldn’t the cool wings then in effect be blocking the heat of the body? How can she justify the circular appearance of the object if the big cool wings are in the way? This cool wing theory is just speculation on her part. The truth is that the wings of a large bird are clearly visible to an IR camera. I know this for a fact, because I see vultures, heron, osprey, and all sorts of birds in flight at work all of the time. The next time we run a system outside, I’ll see about getting some video for you. You can watch them riding the thermals, changing directions and body position accordingly. Knowing that the wings are indeed visible, this object would show them if it were a bird. Even if it was gliding the whole way, it then would not be circular in appearance, given the long wingspans of pelicans.”

Dave adds, “The first thing that pops out is the linear nature of the travel of the object. That’s not normal to any bird I’ve seen. There doesn’t seem to be any fluctuation in elevation, as most birds do while flapping wings. There’s no real change in direction. That’s the weirdest part of it. Then there’s the heat signature itself. What is circular, travels in a linear direction, and has no obvious moving parts or wings? At that heat – which is around the same heat as a jet engine or car exhaust? Not a bird.”

So that's intriguing.
Regards, Nate
But on inspection of the dust
I came upon this thing called 'trust'
It helps
us to adjust
nate

Return to The Sword and The Teapot