H.C. and H.S. Tsien

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

H.C. and H.S. Tsien

Postby re-rose rose » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:24 pm

This pair of cousins deserves a mention here.

H.S. Tsien was a Chinese born student of Theodore Von Karman, who took him along when the Jet Propulsion Lab was spun off from Caltech. This Tsien would later fall afoul of the McCarthyism of the era, and be hounded out of the US in 1955. The People's Republic of China was happy to have him and his rocketry expertise back home.

His cousin, H.C Tsien was a mechanical engineer who earned a master's in aeronautical engineering from MIT in 1937, worked for his government during the war, but returned to the USA and became a naturalized citizen in 1949.
He worked for awhile, as chief engineer for Boeing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsue-Chu_Tsien

I have found no timeline for his career progression between those two points. but I'm throwing his name into the consideration pool for the Chinese gentleman who somehow got under Townsend's skin in 1960.

rose
re-rose rose

Re: H.C. and H.S. Tsien

Postby Linda Brown » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:11 pm

I thank you Rose for your continuing search for " fragments" that are so important.

Looking forward to our high noon meeting this next week. You just pick the day and I will be there.

Linda
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Postby nate » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:24 am

The Tsien (Qian in Pinyin romanisation, as used on the Chinese mainland) brothers are certainly a possibility, yes.

The other name we've mentioned is Eric Wang, as I believe the name 'Wang' appeared in letters related to the 'Meadville group'. Eric was Austrian-Mongolian and his expertise appears to have been in 1) simulating (nuclear) blasts and 2) designing blast-proof underground structures. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2136&p=37912#p37901

I was happy to consider his line of work completely unrelated to electrogravitic propulsion, except that there is that whole loose end about FEMA in the 1980s - in fact from as soon as it was set up under Carter in 1978/79 - embezzling (there's no polite word for it) most of its 'disaster response' budget to instead build Federal continuity-of-government structures.

That tells me a few things:

1. The weird 1980s-1990s rumours about FEMA had some element of truth! FEMA (under Carter, Reagan and HW Bush) was not doing what it told the nation it was doing. This came to light in the (first) Clinton presidency, yet for some reason Clinton took the brunt of conspiracy theories for it. (It is worth exploring at some point, however, that George HW 'Daddy' Bush - despite being both Republican and Reagan's vice president - was also the focus of a lot of late-80s and early-90s 'black helicopter' conspiracy theories from the US political right. What was going on there? Something outside normal party politics. As soon as Bill Clinton was elected, however, the conspiracy theories formerly attached to George HW Bush switched to the Clintons.) Relevant also may be that Laurence Rockefeller was quietly pushing the Clintons for UFO disclosure at this time. This suggests, perhaps, that he'd tried with Reagan and HW and got nowhere.

2. Whoever was running FEMA at its inception, 1978, was really worried about imminent end-of-world scenarios. This is even before Reagan's military buildup. 1976 was also apparently when the Bearden-Bird-Byrd-Puharich circle started to get really worried about Soviet ELF. A conservative interpretation (mentioned in 'Memories of a Maverick) is that the top US military brass feared the Soviet ELF transmitters were tests of post-nuclear comms systems, which meant the Soviets were about to initiate a nuclear strike. But it's also I think about when the Soviets started talking publically about new weapons 'more dangerous than the H-bomb'. All of this perhaps fed into a heightened period of international anxiety.

3. Eric Wang's name is associated with underground bunker design. Obviously some of this would have been for the basic hard-points for land-based missile launching: the Minuteman silos and Missile Command Centers, Mount Weather, Cheyenne Mountain, Camp David, whatever's underneath the White House (I presume there must be something), etc. How many others were there? Before FEMA, were there continuity-of-government programs? I assume there must have been, starting from the 1950s. Were they also, like FEMA, largely 'black' budgets? I wonder how the funding was managed and why FEMA was needed as a new means of hiding it? And were there bunkers built that even the normal COG folks didn't know about?

There've always been rumours about underground facilities at Pine Gap near Alice Springs, Australia. Given that PG is a major satellite control node, it seems it would have to be a top-priority Soviet nuclear target, so it also seems like not building a nuclear-survivable bunker there would be a bit of an oversight.

Regards, Nate
But on inspection of the dust
I came upon this thing called 'trust'
It helps
us to adjust
nate

Postby Linda Brown » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:49 am

In working over the rewrite and glancing again at the small notebook that Charles Miller kept during our stay in Nassau I have discovered that he made a small entry that I overlooked ..... it was the simple note." TTB and Tappans meetings concluded". Now when he wrote this Dad was visit somewere in the Bahamas... we had just arrived in Nassau and he left almost immediately by seaplane to fly to Dunmore Town on Harbour Island. So it was on that Island that Dad apparently had that meeting.... and I am wondering... Who is " Tappan".... All I can think of is the old gas range that we used to have.

With your connection to a Hog Island connection Nate, does a "Tappan" show up?

The name never shows up again in his book. so maybe its just a fluke.

I am not sure but we might have gone sailing with a man by that name while we were on the Island... I remember that he said he stayed out of the sun particularly and laughed when he quoted that " Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun!" I borrowed some books from his library and I think that he was an American. Was this Dads man Tappan?

anyway... just a thought. Linda
Linda
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Postby nate » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:24 am

Linda Brown wrote:In working over the rewrite and glancing again at the small notebook that Charles Miller kept during our stay in Nassau I have discovered that he made a small entry that I overlooked ..... it was the simple note." TTB and Tappans meetings concluded". Now when he wrote this Dad was visit somewere in the Bahamas... we had just arrived in Nassau and he left almost immediately by seaplane to fly to Dunmore Town on Harbour Island. So it was on that Island that Dad apparently had that meeting.... and I am wondering... Who is " Tappan".... All I can think of is the old gas range that we used to have.

With your connection to a Hog Island connection Nate, does a "Tappan" show up?

Hi Linda. In short: Paul Raymond Tappan and his wife Heloise, in their yacht also called 'Heloise', were most likely 'the Tappans' in question. In their 70s around 1961. From Mansfield, Ohio. At least one of his sons went to Denison, graduating in 1936. Heir (and previously president) of that gas range company - ran it during WW2, in his 50s, during which time it was a supplier of Navy marine and air equipment (including galleys for Navy flying boats) for which it won an Army-Navy production award in 1943. Paul's brother Alan served in the Army during the war, a Major in 1943, rising to the rank of Colonel, and was active in pushing for an Air National Guard base for Mansfield in 1948. Postwar, Tappan under Alan and then (I think) Alan's son William Richard 'Dick' Tappan, was somehow first in line to get microwave oven technology from Raytheon in 1952. Paul seems to have retired after the war and with the two Heloises, cruised the Bahamas. He must have been a history and Bahamas buff because he erected his own marker for the place be believed Christopher Columbus landed on San Salvador Island in 1492.

In 1979, Tappan Stove was acquired by Electrolux, so there's a potential Wenner-Gren link if you want one.

Long version:

When I put "tappan bahamas" into Google I get this:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/famous-s ... 01836.html

San Salvador, in the southern Bahamas, features a variety of monuments and statues that honor Christopher Columbus. Local legend says that Columbus' ships, the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria, anchored on the island in 1492. The Tappan Monument, a four-sided stone statue, was erected by Tappan Gas Co. in 1951 on the beach at Fernandez Bay near Cockburn Town. Visitors can walk to the Chicago Herald Monument, a stone statue that marks the spot on East Beach where locals say Christopher Columbus first walked on land in the new world. Downtown Nassau also pays homage to Columbus, with a white marble statue in front of the Government House on Duke Street.

And when I put in 'tappan gas co' I get:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappan_(brand)
Tappan appliances was founded by W.J. Tappan as the Ohio Valley Foundry Company in Bellaire, Ohio in 1881 selling cast-iron stoves door-to-door. The company relocated to Mansfield, Ohio in 1889 and was renamed the Eclipse Stove Company before being renamed the Tappan Stove Company. In 1950, Tappan acquired the Los Angeles-based O'Keefe & Merritt Stove Company and used the O'Keefe & Merritt name in the western United States from then until the late 1980s.
Tappan gas range (1948 advertiement)

Tappan claimed several innovations, including:

1920s all-porcelain range available in various colors
1955 the first microwave oven model for home use.
1960s electric ignition for gas ranges
1965 single unit conventional range and microwave oven.

Tappan, then a part of Frigidaire, became a subsidiary of Electrolux in 1979.

That's two hops to Wenner-Gren and Hog Island! Or three at the most.

If this is the same Tappan somehow active in the Bahamas, then 'first microwave oven for home use' strongly implies that they had some link to the radar/microwave scene - otherwise what was their qualification for getting access to this technology? The Electrolux acquisition was 1979, but does make one wonder if there was interest by Wenner-Gren earlier. Intriguing.

http://www.wired.com/2010/10/1025home-microwave-ovens/
Raytheon had filed a patent for the microwave cooking process by 1945. Two years later, it built Radarange, the first microwave oven in the world.

The Radarange was as large as a refrigerator, but heavier. The tubes in the magnetron had to be water-cooled, so plumbing installation was required. Result: The first microwave oven weighed about 750 pounds and was nearly 6 feet tall.

The beta microwave was placed in a restaurant in Boston for testing. Raytheon introduced a commercial microwave oven, the 1161 Radarange, in 1954. It was expensive — priced at $2,000 to $3,000 (the equivalent of $16,000 to $24,000 in today’s cash).

Raytheon licensed its technology to the Tappan Stove company. Tappan introduced a large 220-volt wall unit as a home microwave oven in 1955. It sold for $1,295 (figure $10,500 today).

It had two cooking speeds (500 and 800 watts), stainless steel exterior, glass shelf, top-browning element and a recipe card drawer. But the price was high, and microwave cooking was an unknown.

Consumers stayed away from the device. Sales were slow.

A Studebaker subsidiary called Franklin Manufacturing had been making magnetrons and selling microwave ovens similar to the Radarange. Litton Industries bought Franklin from Studebaker in the 1960s and made a big breakthrough.

Litton developed the short, wide shape of the microwave that we’re familiar with today. And it created an oven that could survive even when there was no object in it to heat.

Prices began to fall rapidly. Raytheon, which had acquired a company called Amana, introduced the first popular home model in 1967, the countertop Radarange. It cost $495 (about $3,200 today).

Consumer interest in microwave ovens began to grow. About 40,000 units were sold in the United States in 1970. Five years later, that number hit a million.

Okay. So the Tappan gas stove company of Bellaire, Ohio, a military contractor, received microwave technology from Raytheon. Litton was a Navy contractor. I'm going to wildly speculate without evidence that Amana also had a military background.

Meanwhile, the monument:

http://www.vanderkrogt.net/statues/obje ... cord=bs010
Description
A cairnlike stone pillar, the Tappan Monument (also called the Heloise Marker) sits on the beach at Fernandez Bay (Mile Marker No. 5, south of Cockburn Town). It was put there on 25 February 1951 by the yawl Heloise while on an around-the-world cruise. This expedition was financed by the Tappan gas company.
Inscription(s)
Bronze plaque at the base of the monument:

Christopher Columbus
made the first recorded landing
in the New World on this beach
Oct. 12, 1492
Yawl HELOISE Feb. 25, 1951
Annotation
The next monument to spring up on this limestone island was built in 1951 by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Tappan, who had cruised the islands for years in their yacht Heloise. Paul Tappan, like many mariners, was dubious of the Chicago Herald's location and decided to rectify their mistake by building his own monument to Columbus. Except for the actual landing site, he supported Samuel Eliot Morison's argument: "The exact spot of Columbus' landing has aroused almost as much controversy as the identity of the island. The Chicago Herald Expedition in 1891 approached San Salvador from the eastward, selected the first land they sighted, a hill on the NE side of the island, and erected a monument there as the landing place. But no seaman in his senses would have anchored off a lee-shore with a sea running, nor could the ship's boats have got over the reef."
Morison claimed Columbus came around the southwest point of the island and entered what is now Fernandez Bay on the west side, through the first gap in the reef, which is about 5 miles north of Sandy Point. He was supposed to have anchored in 5 fathoms; this depth would have placed his ships a mile or so from shore, and he would have had to look out for large coral heads dotted throughout the area. The brown masses of heads are plainly visible in the clear, ginlike water on a sunny day but not easily navigated in an unwieldy ship.
About a mile further north, just south of Cockburn Town dock, the blue-black, 10,000-foot-deep water comes closer to shore than anywhere else on the island. There are no reefs, nor coral heads. The bottom starts at the drop-off, at about 70 feet, where there is a fantastic garden of colored corals and bright, darting fish. Then it presents a gently sloping, white sandy bottom right up to the water's edge on the beach--a shel- tered anchorage, with good holding ground, used by cruising yachts today.
It was here, on what was formerly called Sandy Ridge, now named Bamboo Point, that Paul Tappan built his monument on February 25, 1951. Rocks for the monument were chipped by the natives, and Mr. and Mrs. Tappan mixed the cement, brought from their boat.

'Heloise' was Mrs Paul Tappan, nee Heloise Hedges:
http://americanheritagefamilies.com/wc66/wc66_155.htm

and Paul Tappan was W J Tappan's son, born in Bellaire, Ohio. One of six children.
http://americanheritagefamilies.com/wc26/wc26_335.htm
William J. TAPPAN
b. 23 Aug 1860

Ella Benton GORBY
b. 7 Oct 1861
Children
Merle TAPPAN(abt 1885 - )
Paul Raymond TAPPAN (20 Oct 1887 - Feb 1978)
Hubert TAPPAN(19 Jul 1890 - )
Lois Geneva TAPPAN(5 Jun 1892 - )
Allan Prescott TAPPAN(2 Aug 1894 - )
Harold TAPPAN(13 Mar 1901 - )

In 1951, when he set that monument, Paul Raymond Tappan would have been.. 64, I think? And 74 in 1961. Heloise died in 1968. They had three children. So Paul and Heloise would presumably have still been a pair - Tappans, plural - when that note was written.

In 1930 Paul Tappan had been treasurer of Tappan Stove Company:

http://www.onlinebiographies.info/oh/nco/tsc.htm
The 1930 officers of the Tappan Stove Company are as follows: W. J. Tappan, president; A. P. Tappan, vice president; A. C. Rhoads, secretary; and Paul R. Tappan, treasurer.

The factory is located at 150 Wayne Street.

History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1931

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Ohio_Valley_Company
During the 1930s, the Tappan Stove Company introduced the first porcelain enameled stove, a stove with rounded corners, and the insulated oven. The company also invented the "see through" oven door. During World War II, the United States military used Tappan stoves to feed men in the armed forces. Tappan had manufactured a stove with wheels for the military's use, making it mobile.

During the 1940s, W.J. Tappan retired from the Tappan Stove Company, leaving his son, A.P. Tappan, in charge of the company. A.P.'s son, W.R. Tappan, assumed control of the business during the early 1950s. Under his leadership, the company experienced its greatest growth. In 1955, the Tappan Stove Company manufactured the first microwave oven for home use. The Raytheon Company had introduced microwave ovens in 1947, but these ovens were as large as a refrigerator and were too expensive for home use. At Raytheon's request, the Tappan Stove Company sought to reduce the size and cost of microwave ovens in 1952. Tappan's 1955 microwave was just twenty-four inches wide and retailed for 1,200 dollars. In 1965, the company manufactured the first combination conventional range and microwave oven, further boosting sales.

Ok, so Paul Tappan wasn't in the direct line of succession of the company - his nephew WR Tappan would have been the one trusted with the microwave technology by Raytheon. But still. If Paul and Heloise had been 'cruising the islands for years' by 1951, does that mean they were there during the 1940s? Doing what, I wonder, and for whom?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 90,3029202
Boca Raton News - Jan 30, 1972
Alan P Tappan, 77-year-old retired president of the Tappan Stove Co., died Friday at North Broward Hospital after a short illness...

He was a colonel in the US Army Corps during WWII and a graduate of Cornell University. He was a member of Mansfield Masonic Lodge No. 35, the Scottish Rite, the Elks Lodge, Mansfield, Ohio, and the American Legion.

http://www.179aw.ang.af.mil/resources/f ... 665&page=1
The 164th Fighter Squadron was formed and federally recognized at Mansfield Municipal Airport on 20 June 1948 due to the far- sightedness of community leaders. The community leaders formed an advisory committee chaired by Colonel Alan P. Tappan (owner of Tappan Stove). Their objective was to locate an Air National Guard Unit in Mansfield, Ohio.

The committee received an ultimatum from the Air force: Provided the amount of men required to support a unit, and Mansfield would receive their unit. For three days in May 1948, Mansfield supported a major recruiting drive, thus resulting in the first 353 member unit.

Heir of the 363rd Fighter Squadron which distinguished itself during World War II in the European Theatre of Operations, the 164th included 158 Charter members.

Designing the unit began in 1949 with the construction of the old hanger. At a cost of $640,00, it seemed expensive at the time. The hanger was followed by the supply building, the motorpool, the base operations in 1951..

Oh, hello US Navy!

Life Magazine, 25 Jan 1943
https://books.google.com/books?id=P1EEA ... &q&f=false
"COME AND GET IT"... three miles up!
IN A GIANT NAVY FLYNIG BOAT somewhere over distant seas there's a vision today of tomorrow's better living. A VISION OF TOMORROW'S KITCHEN, reflected in a gleaming Tappan Navy galley, where Uncle Sam's fighting men get hot meals - three miles up.
THIS SKY KITCHEN combines range, refrigerator, sink, cupboard into one cooking center. Kitchens on the ground will benefit later from precision methods learned while Tappan builds these galleys and other war equipment.

Motorboat Magazine, May 1949:
https://books.google.com/books?id=CPQ1A ... &q&f=false
Above: Type 9 - A 42-foot auxillary yawl, Miriam, owned by Commodore Paul Tappan, Mansfield, Ohio (Photograph by the author).

Paul Tappan was a Commodore? I guess only in the sense of running a yacht club. I can find no record of him serving in the Navy. Miriam was his daughter, by the way.

Also in that article:
Right: Type 16 - Large houseboat, Aloha, owned by Roy Mast, Zanesville, Ohio.

I guess Zanesville is closer to the Bahamas than it appears...

Paul R seems to have been President of Tappan Stove Company in 1943:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/9624170/
June 17, 1943
News-Journal from Mansfield, Ohio · Page 1

More than 1,000 persons yesterday witnessed the presentation of the Army-Navy.. production award .. Tappan Stove company" management and employees in a colorful outdoor ceremony. The workers whose diligence and cooperation made possible the winning of the E-award are shown in the first picture seated in a reserved center section proudly wearing the caps given them for the' occasion. 2. Major Alan Tappan, Army Air Forces, home from his duties in Washington, serves as master-of-ceremies. Representing the Navy in this joint award, Lieut.-Cmdr. A. E.Heiser. chief resident inspector of navy materiel, praises the employes for the "teamwork, understanding and tolerance" which contributed to the production excellence. 4. Miss Dorcas Bertsch, representing the employees, removes her '"E" pin from Major Albert C. Crawford, Fifth Service Command, Ft. Hayes, Columbus. 5. Uniforms of the two services .making the presentation mingled with the uniforms of the home-front industrial workers being honored. ... 6. Paul R. Tappan, president, left and Major Tappan, vice president, holding the red, white, and blue "E" pennant which is flying over the plant today

June 15 1943:
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/9624107/
Although three Mansfield firms have qualified for the Army-Navy "E" award in this war, the Tappan Stove company tomorrow will be the first to receive the honor on the recommendation of the Navy department. Awards to the Hughes-Keenan company and Westinghouse were granted at the request of the army.

The "E" flag which the company will receive tomorrow was .. for production of materials for marine and aircraft use. Because a large part of the firm's war output goes to the Navy, it was natural that the Navy should be the first to recommend the company for the award.

December 9, 1947
The Sandusky Register from Sandusky, Ohio · Page 10
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/4545201/
The 22nd annual Sandusky Bay Regatta was then set for July 31 and August 1 with William Sudbrink, vice-commodore, as general regatta chairman. Albert Simon then read 1he proposed changes to the club constitution and by-laws, which are to be acted upon by the members at the January meeting. John Emery was taken in as a new member of the organization. Following the business meeting members were taken on a mental cruise of the West Indies and the Caribbean Sea by Paul R. Tappan, Mansfield stove manufacturer. The Mansfielder told of his 90-day, 12,000-mile trip from New York City to within 100 miles of South America and return aboard his 52-foot ketch. The talk was illustrated by brilliantly colored slides which Tappan took on the trip. He said that after leaving the Bahama Islands the rest of the trip south was almost always within sight of land, the various islands being so close to each other. Tappan said the trip by sailboat is inexpensive due to the rate of exchange on the foreign islands and told of buying a bushel of grapefruit for, 10 cents.

Paul R Tappen's son William went to Denison! Phi Delta Theta.
http://www.phideltathetaarchive.com/wp- ... _no1-5.pdf
Paul Raymond Tappan ('09) died February 16, 1978. A resident of Mansfield, Ohio, he is survived by a Denison Phi son, William R. Tappen '36.

and if this obscure unsourced notation is correct, Paul R was President of Tappan Stove in 1936, so at least from 1936 to 1943?
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.thegorb/us ... .htm#i1978
(1936) Paul Raymond Tappan is the current president of the Tappan Stove Co.

Nate
But on inspection of the dust
I came upon this thing called 'trust'
It helps
us to adjust
nate

Return to The Sword and The Teapot