apologizing in advance

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

Re: apologizing in advance

Postby G-Man » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:30 pm

I can live with that, Rose. I can live with that.

These "asteroids" are built on Earth and launched from low earth orbit, nate. This would all be done using a nice modern volumetric field propulsion system rather than that old blue touchpaper tech :D. A few thousand tons of ready-mixed concrete and rock wrapped around a one metre titanium sphere filled with liquid argon should do it
Last edited by G-Man on Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

"Il faut savoir tout envisager mais surtout ne rien croire" Aimé Michel

"Se non capite qualcosa, sbarazzarsi di esso"
G-Man

Postby nate » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:34 pm

re-rose rose wrote:If you decide to immigrate, we have a nice little high desert community here...though it's in a state that always votes Democratic and that might not agree with you.

One of the things I've learned is that the global forces (especially market forces, but also 'security' and legislative) rocking the world at the moment aren't limited to countries. You'd think New Zealand would be sheltered away in the bottom of the Pacific but it's really, really not. The sea level rises a few metres and Canterbury, built on a flood plain, loses everything from waterfront to wheat fields. The house price market runs a fever in China and we catch the gentrification flu in Auckland. Though oddly enough, the financial pages always describe the working poor to lower middle class being priced out of a place to live as the property market 'recovering' or 'rebounding'. Mass poverty and lifetime debt are exciting positive things if you're the creditor, I guess.

I can't say I 'like' William Gibson's concept of the 'jackpot' in his latest novel (The Peripheral) but I think he's accurately described the situation that's approaching the world. Not one neatly solvable apocalypse, but an intermeshed complex of multiple stress factors.

It's hard to keep from feeling immensely angry about the changes occuring around the world today, and with the shrugging hands-up hopelessness of mainstream political parties towards it. 'Well, that's just the market; we can't do anything about that because... well, because that would be what FDR did, and we can't invest in infrastructure and welfare today, because... well because massive inequality and infrastructure decay is just natural. The strong conquer, the weak are devoured; it's the beautiful circle of economic life.'

But I do remember that both revolutions and counter-revolutions have done terrible things to countries in the past. I'm not sure, to be honest, which was actually worse for the average Russian quality of life: 1917 or 1989. I think the life expectancy went down after both, and both left a cadre of gangsters in charge of the country.

I like my economics a little left of centre, but mostly I dislike 'solutions' to any problem which involve either actively killing people or passively letting people die, whether the ideology is framed as 'eliminating security threats' or 'protecting private property'. Perhaps violence/nonviolence is a third axis to the political compass

Regards, Nate
Last edited by nate on Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But on inspection of the dust
I came upon this thing called 'trust'
It helps
us to adjust
nate

Postby G-Man » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:40 pm

When it comes to picking up the hardball time I prefer "Robust Retaliation/Abject Surrender" rather than "violence/non-violence", the latter suggests there is some kind of choice; I think the only choice is between starting the fight and ending the fight. I would prefer not to start the fight but I am happy to be able to decisively end the fight
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

G-Man

Postby Linda Brown » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:48 pm

I gripe about the wind...and sometimes the heat...but all in all...it's a very nice community here...growing...nice community and senior centers....concerts in the summer on a beautiful ball park field....nice in your bare feet....and at night you can wrap yourself in the stars.....it's the kind of place where, if your neighbors noticed that you had raised your American flag upside down at dawn in the morning...would not assume that you were making a political statement...and grouse about it in the Internet...but would rush over to see if you were OK or you needed help. With the large number of retired Marines around here...there are a lot of flagpoles....

come visit. maybe we can offer you Shelter from the storm.

Linda
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Postby G-Man » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:53 pm

That sounds like heaven on earth. It sounds like where I live now - but without the rain :)
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

G-Man

Postby Linda Brown » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:12 am

then, minus some minor inconveniences...we have lovely homes.
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Postby re-rose rose » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:08 pm

the financial pages always describe the working poor to lower middle class being priced out of a place to live as the property market 'recovering' or 'rebounding'. Mass poverty and lifetime debt are exciting positive things if you're the creditor, I guess.

It's called "Urban Renewal" here, Nate. Either that, or Urban Sprawl. Even if the working poor could find something they could afford to buy and have excellent credit, mortgage companies won't finance properties in that price range, so they are caught in a double vice.

I worry that in our eagerness to "fix" things, we always forget to consider the possible long term backlash. For example we recently had solar panels put on our roof and their surface gets very hot in the middle of the day. And so I wonder if, as rooftop solar and larger solar farms spread through the southwest, the amount of heat they radiate into the atmosphere won't have some noticeable effect on the weather.

How many acres/miles of panels would have to be in place before we would observe changes in larger weather systems. Is it possible that in the long run, solar may not be turn out to the "harmless" renewable energy source we think it is?

rose
re-rose rose

Postby G-Man » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Science is working on photoelectric cells that convert IR into electricity. I don't know how they are progressing but, if we can perfect such a cell then much more of the incident solar radiation would be turned into electricity rather than reflected or refracted.

8-) Furthermore, an infrared photovoltaic could be used where there are sources of heat but not light, which hugely expands their range of applications
8-) Also they can be layered to catch infrared that gets through the top layer

2012 - All-carbon solar cell harnesses infrared light
2014 - Silicon Solar Photovoltaic Cell Turns Infra-red Radiation Into Electricity
2015 - Researchers tap infrared spectrum to improve solar cell efficiency

are a few examples of recent research
Last edited by G-Man on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
G-Man

Postby re-rose rose » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:08 pm

That cheers me up, G-Man. Thanks. Three cheers for science!

On another note, today's indicator of how crazy American politics is getting, the big headline is that Charles Koch (one of the infamously Libertarian Billionaire Koch Brothers) says Hillary might be the better candidate to support in November. Well, that's the headlines anyway.

According to the printed quote, what he actually said was:

"We would have to believe her actions would be quite different than her rhetoric. Let me put it that way," he said on ABC's "This Week" Sunday. "But on some of the Republican candidates we would -- before we could support them, we'd have to believe their actions will be quite different than the rhetoric we've heard so far."

Oh, the media!

And, oh the irony! Open support from the Koch brothers might actually drive some Hillary supporters into Trumps arms...

rose
re-rose rose

Postby G-Man » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Yes, Science is great indeed.

Well well! I did the Political Compass quiz again and It's still me and Gandhi, pretty much alone in the lower left corner. However, the site has been expanded to cater to UK political parties as well as US; when I apply that filter I am actually bang in between SDLP and Plaid Cymru. That shouldn't surprise me. The local equivalent is Mec Vannin ("Sons of Mann")

[Oops] I think the upshot is that it's all down to the questions you're asked and yes, "I Side With" is by far the most comprehensive and versatile test.
G-Man

PreviousNext

Return to The Sword and The Teapot