A Fun Factoid about the US Navy's 1937 Budget

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

A Fun Factoid about the US Navy's 1937 Budget

Postby re-rose rose » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:31 pm

In my scanning yesterday, I encountered a news article from a Chicago paper (Sun Times, I believe). The Navy's 1937 budget request was at an all-time high, but Congress slashed 35 million from it in a huff over the cost of the proposed ships. The year before they had been told the ships could be built for 3 million apiece. But the estimated cost had suddenly gone up to over 60 million each.

That's quite a startling jump!

rose
re-rose rose

Re: A Fun Factoid about the US Navy's 1937 Budget

Postby Linda Brown » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Makes one wonder what else was being built with that money....probably armament for the war they knew was coming...but when you can't make the public knowledge...you hide it.
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Postby re-rose rose » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Linda Brown wrote:Makes one wonder what else was being built with that money....probably armament for the war they knew was coming...but when you can't make the public knowledge...you hide it.

It's almost certain that the admirals were preparing for the worst case scenario. But that budget could have been goosed upward by many things. At the top of my guess list, they were positioning themselves to be able to support the Allies in the event of a European war, and ensuring the funding for new high tech weapons systems as they became ready for roll-out.

rose
re-rose rose

Postby Linda Brown » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:17 am

and of course William Stephenson and his intelligence network was in the very middle of it...if not the vanguard.
From the Shadow of Giant Rock
Linda Brown

Return to The Sword and The Teapot