Off the Shelf B-1 Replacement and the Procurement Process

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

Off the Shelf B-1 Replacement and the Procurement Process

Postby re-rose rose » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 pm

This thread has come to the top at ATS once again:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1094754/pg1

TLDR: Shape shifting memory metals will form the airframe for common off the shelf components.

But if you go to StargateS7's post on November 30, 2015, at 11:48 A.M, you will find a summation that reflects the entire big picture DOD planning and acquisition arena, as I understand it.

This person is clearly not writing from a Navy perspective, but Level 5 describes how "born secret/need to know" projects are make the leap from research labs to prototyping:

5) Super SAP/CAP In-Service Design and Research System: ONLY Three Star general, DefSec and President plus Personnel know. LMCO, Raytheon, Litton, BAE, DuPont/3M get sent parts and manufacturing list and specifications plus a local service-base drop-off address. No one knows what parts are for or where they're going!

It is clear that the author is describing a specific current project that has been through a 4 year test period and is now (or recently) ready to be shared with a larger group, but the process has been the same since labs came into beings.

rose
re-rose rose

Re: Off the Shelf B-1 Replacement and the Procurement Proces

Postby G-Man » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Shape-shifting Wings using Nitinol (Nickel-Titanium Shape Memory Metal) strips Sandwiched between other Titanium (or Aluminum!) strips to allow the internal structural-support wing members to bend and/or expand against a flexible/expanding composite upper wing surface which allows a change of wing thickness and aircraft hull aerodynamic configuration on-the-fly so that fuel consumption savings during LONG RANGE fast-flight to area of operations (AOA) can be realized but also Low and SLOW flight be obtainable by changing wing shape AND thickness without the use of mechanically complex Swing-Wing technology (i.e. F-111).

Holy cow.
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

"Il faut savoir tout envisager mais surtout ne rien croire" Aimé Michel

"Se non capite qualcosa, sbarazzarsi di esso"
G-Man

Postby re-rose rose » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Yeah, holy cow, G. Man.

When I first asked how long the technology transfer process takes to move from Level 5 to public awareness and availability, I was told approximately 50 years. So if this is already fifty year old technology, I get goosebumps imagining where we must be today.

rose
re-rose rose

Postby G-Man » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:49 pm

:o
ύλη είναι το μοτέρ

"Il faut savoir tout envisager mais surtout ne rien croire" Aimé Michel

"Se non capite qualcosa, sbarazzarsi di esso"
G-Man

Postby fruitbat » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Co-incidentally, I ordered my personal stash of nitinol wires only a few days back, am just waiting for it to arrive in the post.
Was very reasonably priced for a miracle material in my view..
FB.
Never gIve up. Never surrender. - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart NSEA "Protector"
fruitbat

Postby re-rose rose » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm

fruitbat wrote:Co-incidentally, I ordered my personal stash of nitinol wires only a few days back, am just waiting for it to arrive in the post.
Was very reasonably priced for a miracle material in my view..
FB.

Oh, goody. Can't wait to hear about how you use it!
rose
re-rose rose

Postby re-rose rose » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:55 pm

By the way, Nitinol was a product of research conducted by the Naval Ordinance Lab, about which Wicki says " In 1929 the Mine Laboratory was merged with the Experimental Ammunition Station in Indian Head to form the Naval Ordnance Laboratory. NOL began slowly, and it was not until the beginnings of World War II, when Germany's aircraft-laid magnetic mine began to cause serious problems for the Allies.[sic]"

Bismanol- an iron-manganese alloy (a portmanteau of Bismuth + manganese + NOL- the initials of the Naval Ordnance Laboratory).
Nitinol, a shape-changing nickel-titanium alloy (a portmanteau of nickel + titanium + NOL- the initials of the Naval Ordnance Laboratory)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Ordnance_Laboratory

As a side note here: At the time of its official creation in 1945, the USN Applied Research Lab at Penn State was designated as an ordnance lab.

rose
re-rose rose

Return to The Sword and The Teapot