A good thought for the day!

Now open for business. (Every cosmic neighborhood has a local watering hole. This one's ours.)
Forum rules
Behave or be thrown out. The bouncers are enormous out here in this no-gravity space.

Re: A good thought for the day!

Postby ecker2011 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Dalai Lama

The very purpose of our life is happiness, which is sustained by hope. We have no guarantee about the future, but we exist in the hope of something better. Hope means keeping going, thinking, ‘I can do this.’ It brings inner strength, self-confidence, the ability to do what you do honestly, truthfully and transparently.
ecker2011

Postby Griffin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:31 pm

The fire roared by, awfully close to me. Many were burnt out or engulfed by consequential mudslides during a coinciding heavy rain. Homes and lives were lost. I was given a mandate to evacuate. I experienced the kindness of family, friends, and strangers. The Chumash tribe generously provided evacuees with a free night's lodging at a fine motel. I shared motel rooms with my family and also a close friend and colleague. We shared deep feelings and discussed matters of consequence. Fortunately, my home was neither burned nor mud-flooded, and I'm resettled.

My good thoughts and feelings are about love, compassion, gratitude, and admiration for courageous behavior. And going forth, whatever the odds.

May the New Year be kind and productive.

As ever,

Griffin
Griffin

Postby Griffin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Firefighters! What immense gratitude they're owed.

As ever,

Griffin

My Tribute:

BRIGHTER THAN FIRE 9-11

With courage brighter than fire,
The fire crews entered fast
Twin towers aflame and near collapse,
Knowing any moment might likely be their last.
Priests stood below
Dispensing last rites in advance
To fire-in-the-belly fighters,
Whose lives seemed up to chance.
Fire Captains gave the orders
But also led the way,
And they all went down together
On that most horrendous day.
But they have all together risen
As exemplars brave and true;
A special company of heroes
With selfless service matched by few.

[This poem was inspired by my attendance at a community gathering soon after 9-11-2001, honoring local fire fighters
and those who gave their lives when the twin towers collapsed in New York City after being struck by hijacked airliners.
The feeling expressed was recently reinforced.]
Griffin

Postby ecker2011 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Dalai Lama

Modern education pays little attention to inner values and yet our basic human nature is compassionate. We need to incorporate compassion and warm-heartedness into the modern education system to make it more holistic.
ecker2011

Postby ecker2011 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Dalai Lama

In a world where people easily fall under the sway of anger and hatred, we need love, patience, tolerance and contentment. You may have all the physical amenities you need to be comfortable, but it you have no peace of mind, they won’t make you happy. On the other hand if you have peace of mind, you’ll be happy whether you have those amenities or not. The important goal is to achieve peace of mind.
ecker2011

Postby ecker2011 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Dalai Lama

Destructive thoughts and emotions undermine the very causes of peace and happiness. If you think clearly about it, it makes no sense to think you’re seeking happiness, if you do nothing to restrain angry, spiteful, and malicious thoughts and emotions.
ecker2011

Postby ecker2011 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Dalai Lama

Knowledge of the mind is relevant to all 7 billion human beings alive today because we achieve peace of mind by tackling our destructive emotions on the basis of understanding the whole system of our emotions. We experience happiness on a sensory level that is relatively short-lived. But lasting happiness is related to our state of mind.
ecker2011

Previous

Return to The Sword and The Teapot